Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Family Fun

So, I may not be the most reliable blogger on-line, but I hope to make up for it with my other talents! Since having Vonage we've been able to reliably speak by phone, even when Skype (let alone video) is less than constant. For those of you I haven't been keeping informed via other technology, here's the low-down:

My parents came for a 10 day visit, basically the last week of winter vacation from school. We had a fabulous time seeing the sights of La Paz and environs, and introducing our families, who got along swimmingly despite language and cultural differences. We took a trip to the ruins of Tiwanaku and another to say in a cabana on Lake Titicaca, and altogether despite its brevity made the most of our time together, feasting on Bolivian treats I'd forgotten were so different from cuisine back home. They loved the hot drink api we served upon arrival at dawn to ward off altitude sickness, and didn't complain at the quantity of coca tea we requested they drink. Everyone was able to walk around the neighborhood and enjoy the views, and they took enough pictures to make many a slideshow for others' viewing pleasure.

It was back to teaching 4 hours after they left last Monday, and so far so good...the kids loved the Jeopardy game I created with possessive nouns and compound words as categories, and despite the cold are excited for a field trip Friday to Calamarca in the Altiplano (rescheduled from Friday June 13....) We'll have an Open House Saturday where I expect to meet more parents than have come to my weekly session, and other than that we'll likely spend another weekend reorganizing the house and furniture post-parental visit!

Love and hugs to you all and do keep in touch via whatever means available!!

No comments: