Monday, September 15, 2008

No Need to Panic

Those of you aware of the recent violence in Pando need not worry...I feel safe and anticipate nothing more than a few protests in the streets of La Paz, as happened earlier today.

We're getting more and more used to such blockades, and really other than meat prices going up as a result, there's little effect. I suppose we'll cancel our sixth grade field trip Thursday...

This afternoon several hundred campesinos marched down from the hills and alarmed the residents of the suburban Zona Sur where I teach, so panicky parents came to collect their children early to avoid dealing with the traffic later on. But the word "evacuation" hardly fits the situation on the ground.

I had no trouble getting home smoothly and am sitting tight until there's more news. Since the American Ambassador's departure at Evo's request, things have been a bit zany, but Bolivia's basically a non-violent protest sort of place, so I hope you'll join me in avoiding panic!

US Embassy and USAID personnel deemed "non-essential" have been given the choice to stay or go, so I expect to lose a few more friends than I would have otherwise this month. But never fear, I am working on maintaining a balanced social life amidst the mayhem, as never is there a more opportune time to bond with others abroad than in times of pseudo-crisis!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and messages and peace be with you!

1 comment:

Zak said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling safe, Susan, and I hope things continue to be that way for you. I just came across this article today and wondered about your take on it. The source is very anti-globalization, but I wondered if it sounded realistic anyway.